Featured Partner and Grant Recipient:
National Foster Youth Action Network
Music Is Unity Foundation is proud to partner with the National Foster Youth Action Network (www.fosteryouthaction.org) to empower foster youth and to inspire individuals to take action to improve the lives of foster youth.
“To be a leader is to tell the truth and call for justice! The National Foster Youth Action Network trainers’ insights into my foster youth experience helped me appreciate the skills I already have and with the training we received from them, helped me to build a supportive community with other members of the Oregon Foster Youth Connection. Thanks NFYAN!”
The National Foster Youth Action Network is empowering foster youth across the United States by:
- Helping youth in multiple states create and lead their own policy advocacy organizations
- Training youth to become effective leaders and advocates who can work closely with child welfare policymakers to win positive changes in the foster care system
- Giving youth a chance to learn and develop skills that will help them become resilient, confident, healthy, productive adults
Recent Accomplishments of the Action Network, made possible with a grant from Music Is Unity Foundation:
- The Action Network is growing, and is now working with foster youth-led partner groups in six states: California, Indiana,Mississippi, Nebraska, Oregon, and Virginia
- Foster youth in the Oregon Foster Youth Connection (an Action Network partner group) identified free college tuition as their top policy priority for the year. With 47 hours of training and coaching for the youth and 32 hours of training and coaching for the adults over the last year, OFYC effectively advocated for legislation to support their goal. Their bill passed the legislature, was signed by the Governor, and went into effect January 1, 2012. This is a huge policy success for them in avery challenging budget climate in Oregon that will provide innumerable benefits for the foster youth in Oregon who want togo onto college.
- Action Network trainers have helped youth in Virginia’s five regions to coordinate local Foster Youth “Shout-Out” events to raise awareness of foster care issues.
- The Action Network and California Youth Connection are working on the first network-wide leadership summit which they will co-host in August 2012 in Ventura County, California.
Together, the Music Is Unity Foundation and the National Foster Youth Action Network are:
- Increasing public understanding of foster youth issues
- Educating Philip Bailey fans, the entertainment industry and the general public about the importance of supporting foster youth
- Encouraging individuals to support foster youth by making a contribution to Music Is Unity Foundation and the National Foster Youth Action Network